Now you have all the necessary tools and you are ready for creating app!
- Open your Xamarin Studio
You are going to see something like this:
- We are going to create a new solution.
- Now we need to define the type of solution we are creating.
Select iOS App>Empty Project
- Now we need to set some configuration of our app.
- For this example define your App Name as Hello World. The Identifier is the Identity of your application. It is not important when you are only working in your computer and using the iPhone Simulator, but it will be necessary when you decide to test the App in your own iPhone and to publish it to the App Store.
- Keep the identifier structure as com.companyname.appname
If you don’t have a company name you can just create one as I did below and click Next.
- Name your Project as HelloWorld and your Solution as MyFirstApp. Define the location. You can create a new folder wherever you want to place all the apps you create. This is how I do but it’s up to you. Click in Create!
- You may see a screen like this:
- It’s an empty project, but already structured to receive your code. Just for fun, hit the play button to see how it would show up if you decide to publish this app.
As you may have predicted it’s just a blank app.
- Now we are going to create our HelloWorld screen. In order to accomplish this, click with the right button at the HelloWorld project and click on Add>New File… as shown below:
- Select iOS > Dialog View Controller and type HelloWorld in the Name field. Click “New”
- Now, this is how your Solution Tree should look like:
- Double-click the file HelloWorld.cs and you will see the code for HelloWorld that was automatically created by Xamarin Studio:
- Now, click at the play button again and you will magically see your first app come up on the simulator:
- Tap Hello and you will see an alert message box showing up. You can hit continue and enter your name to test the Text Box.
CONGRATULATIONS!!Now you have the complete environment prepared for creating app.
You are now able to create the most amazing apps you can imagine!
Check the “Learn More” session if you liked and want to go deeper on your coding skills.
Now you can proudly say: I’m an App Maker!